Our History

Our History

 

 

Hadley Funeral Home was established in 1938 by Harold B. and Virginia M. Hadley. Harold grew up near Marietta, Ohio, on Fifteen Creek, graduated from Marietta High School with the Class of 1925, and graduated from Marietta College in 1932.

 

Having decided to pursue a career as a funeral director, Harold then moved to Cincinnati to attend school at the Cincinnati School of Embalming. It was during this time that he met Virginia Sendelbeck. She grew up in Norwood, Ohio, graduated from Norwood High School, and followed her dream of becoming a nurse by studying in the nursing program of Jewish Hospital in Cincinnati.

 

After Harold's graduation from Cincinnati College of Embalming and Virginia's graduation from Jewish Hospital as an RN, they were married on December 21, 1935, and moved to Marietta to begin their involvement in the funeral business.

 

They opened Hadley Funeral Home at 500 Fifth Street on Mother's Day, May 5, 1938, in memory of Harold's mother, who had died when he was just a child.

 

Harold and Virginia had three sons, two of whom also became funeral directors, H. Lee Hadley and John J. Hadley. John's son, J. Robert "Rob" Hadley, is the third generation of Hadley Funeral Home. Harold and Virginia both remained active in the funeral business until Harold's death in 1987 and Virginia's death in 2002, as did John who died on April 13, 2013, at age 69. Lee and Rob and their families respect the legacy of caring that was created by Harold and Virginia and that Hadley Funeral Home continues today. They are looking forward to the future of Hadley Funeral Home and are happy and proud to have Matt Kennedy added to our staff as a licensed funeral director and embalmer. Matt will help them continue the tradition of "our family serving your family.

© Hadley Funeral Home | Marietta & New Matamoras, OH - Funeral Home Website Design By Frazer Consultants